U2 stuff
This was originally a reply to Danny's comment on my gloria post, but it overflowed to Entry status so here we go. It's not as eloquent as I'd like, but I'm at work and I don't have too much fiddling time. I'll touch it up to informal thesis status when I get home.
To change the world, you have to meet the world on its level, and that's why U2 is so popular.
U2's extremely open about their faith, it's everyone else that has forced "still haven't found what I'm looking for" down their throats as their "obvious dismissal of christianity" when it's quite the opposite. People don't have a clue.
The band has said a million times that they are all christians, but people still pass them off cause they don't like admitting that chrisitianity can come alongside such a matter of fact understanding of the world and how it works.
Christians dismiss them as being "Rock stars with references to a God" cause they drink, swear, and released Pop and Zooropa in the nineties "which obviously talk about their descent into the life of a rockstar blah blah blah". It's all a load of crap, and it's that kind of christianity we need to get rid of.
Just because a chef is a christian, it does not mean that he has to name his restaurant "God's Grub" and put only pictures of all things heavenly on the walls.
He's a chef, if he were a chef that was spewing christian feel good phrases all the time, he wouldn't reach anybody but also-heads-stuck-in-the-sand christians and he would lose any ability to reach people who weren't christians.
Same deal.
That's it, I was gonna post this in the comments but I'm making it a post! Blogs are sweet.

1 Comments:
DAn's talkig about johhny cash who said "he wasnt a christian songwriter but a songwriter who was a Chrsitian" (sue paraphase)
yea, i went to SOngs of the nite and this guy who wrote a book about U2 was talking. and instead of glorifying U2 who is beloved by many but personaly not me he instead talked about U2's lyrics and how they're faith was so obviously blantant yet it touched everyone.
i thought that was sweet.
(i think dan was benig dumb)
Post a Comment
<< Home